Strachur Patient Participation Group
Welcome to the website for the Strachur Medical Practice Patient Participation Group. (Click here for the Strachur Medical Practice website.)
The Aims of the Patient Participation Group
"To work with their practice to provide practical support, to help patients take more responsibility for their own health and to provide strategic input and advice. PPGs are based on cooperation between the practice staff and patients".
Purpose of a PPG
- To give practice staff and patients the opportunity to discuss topics of mutual interest in their own practice.
- A forum for patients and staff to improve and develop services within the practice by co-production.
- To provide an opportunity for patients to make positive and constructive suggestions/ideas about the practice and specific medical conditions as an 'expert' or 'experienced patient'.
- To encourage health education activities within the practice.
- To involve further patients from the wider population.
- To involve patient participation in future commissioning of Health Provision.
Benefits for the patient:
- Patients will be more responsible for their own health.
- Patients will have a better understanding and knowledge of the practice and its staff.
This allows up to date information to be given to patients and will inform what decisions can be influenced and what cannot. It will also allow the practice staff to gain an understanding from the patient’s perspective and thereby ensures that two way communications is achieved.
- Patients will have a forum to suggest positive ideas and voice concerns
- Patients will benefit from improved communications between patients and staff
Benefits for the practice:
- GPs and their staff will be able to plan services jointly with patients in order to increase their effectiveness.
- They will be able to get help from patients in meeting targets and objectives.
- They will have a forum to voice concerns, ideas and suggestions to patients.
- They will get closer to the community for whom they care.
A common criticism of many PPGs is that they are not representative of the practice population. It is always going to be difficult to get a group that exactly reflects the demographics of our practice, and volunteer roles tend to attract those that have a certain level of confidence and free time, and have flexibility about working and earning money. However, a PPG is there to make sure that the patient voice is listened to and not necessarily always to be the voice itself. We would welcome additional members to join our group, especially patients with young families and those who can represent the ethnic diversity of the Practice population. If you wish to volunteer please contact the Practice Manager or complete one of the forms in reception.
These are important as a point of reference for behaviour for when the group meets, and were agreed at the first couple of meetings. We agreed that the group should NOT be a forum for pursuing individual personal complaints or agendas, that patient confidentiality is of the utmost importance and that everyone on the PPG should be treated fairly, equally and with respect.
We are striving to have a mix of the following people:
- Active volunteers - people with time and commitments to action decisions
- Interested professionals - the doctors and administrative staff who work within and know the system and can be co-opted onto the group as required
- Key supporters - people with influence within your locality, e.g. local councillors, community workers or business people who help raise the profile of the group, and improve the chances of your group finding financial or other forms of support
We aim to make the group as transparent as possible. Meetings from minutes will be published on this website.
Minutes of meetings
- 2014 - March, 3rd (PDF)
- 2014 - December, 1st (PDF)
- 2015 - January, 19th (PDF)
- 2016 - June, 6th (PDF)
- 2016 - August, 15th (PDF)
- 2017 - January, 24th (PDF)
- 2017 - June, 20th (PDF)
- 2017 - October, 10th (PDF)
- 2018 - February, 13th (PDF)
- 2018 - August, 28th (PDF)
- 2019 - February, 20th (PDF)
- 2022 - February, 23rd (PDF)
Email the PPG at email@example.com.